Job Opportunity: Operational Manager
Monkey Park is a volunteer-led social enterprise that runs a local community hub including a cafe, coworking office, meeting spaces & a cycle workshop which renovates donated bicycles.
Monkey Park is controlled by local people & provides the services that they need. Any profits made in the social enterprise are returned to the local area through provision of community services.
Monkey Park is a friendly place to meet your neighbours and stop for a chat but it also offers important services to the local community such as help to start a business. Lots of community events are organised in the hub - it intends to be led by local people & to help them to bring new services into the local area.
The project has to date been led by volunteer directors managing three members of cafe staff, a cleaner & a bike workshop coordinator as part time paid positions. The voluntary directors’ panel will continue to provide the core steering & direction of the organisation. However as the project has grown, they need an operational manager to be an on-site face of the organisation, performing many of the day to day managerial tasks & ensuring that the whole building is running optimally.
The operational manager will also need to manage the marketing of the services, activities, spaces & events at the hub in order to grow the income - with particular attention to filling the office workspace (income from which pays for the hub overheads).
The hub is currently open Monday-Friday for office workspace and Wednesday-Saturday for the cafe space.
Space may be rented out at other times & we also run many popup events & services throughout the week.
Terms & Conditions
This post is funded by Power to Change Foundation to help the Monkey Park Community Hub become more sustainable over the longer term.
The post will be full time, but we are open to conversations about flexible working and job sharing.
Wages based on a full time post holder (37 hours per week) will be £23,000 per annum plus a contributory pension according to the NEST auto-enrolment scheme (initially 1% employer contribution rising in future years). Part time or job sharing flexibility would mean that these rates will be reduced pro rata. Staff & volunteers can ask for 20% discount in the community hub. Holiday leave will be accrued at the rate of 0.12 hours per hour worked.
Terms & conditions will be formally reviewed along with performance on an annual basis.
The post holder will perform three main roles:
- Efficiently managing day to day operations in the community hub
- Planning activities & events in the hub
- Ensuring that utilisation of the co-working space and the rest of the community hub’s facilities & services are maximised through performing effective marketing & sales
The following specific tasks will be included in the job, but this list is not exhaustive and will flex based on operational need within the organisation:
- Work with the volunteer directors & leadership team
- Provide supportive & clear line management of cafe, workspace & bike workshop staff
- Provide great & caring customer service to members of the community
- Ensure that the community hub is tidy, clean & has a good appearance for the local community
- Ensuring that the hub provides a high quality service, with products on offer that match both our values & local community needs
- Plan & help to deliver activities & events in the hub
- Run operational finance processes (e.g. pay staff/suppliers & produce reports) as required
- Deal with suppliers, partners & regulators (e.g. environmental health)
- Pick up cafe supplies when required
- Attend monthly evening directors’ meetings
The post will be line managed by a nominated director, who will be a single point of contact for any concerns or escalation.
- Support for Monkey Park’s values on community, ethics & environment
- Understanding and support for our mission to improve the Brampton area for everyone
- Friendly approachable manner
- Excellent empathy & team working skills to deal with colleagues & members of the community
- Digital skills with software packages
- Financially astute: able to control costs at the same time as growing income to ensure profitability
- Highly organised
- Access to a car to be able to pick up supplies
- Good creative abilities to design & run events
- Experience in line management
- DBS check (or acceptable for us to apply for one for you)
- Good understanding of social media & community engagement
- Experience working in a cafe
- Food hygiene certificate
The above attributes will be ascertained by CV & interview.
Please send through a CV with covering letter & two references (covering character & experience) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in your letter why you feel that you are uniquely suitable for the role.
The closing date for applications is Friday 27th April 2018 at 5pm